These are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise . . . ( just kidding )
We (the folks at Weathergram, Inc.) run a community platform called Switchboard and would love for you to use it. If you are using Switchboard it is because you are either crowdfunding the platform yourself (yay!), or your home institution is the patron of your community. In agreeing to these terms of service you vouch that you are affiliated with the community based on the category you selected on signup or that you indeed have some true connection to the community. Our service is designed to give you as much control and ownership over what goes on your Switchboard as possible and encourage you to post asks, offers, and successes. However, be responsible in what you publish. In particular, make sure that none of the prohibited items listed below appear anywhere in the content you post, or get linked to(things like spam, viruses, or hate content).
If you find a Switchboard or Switchboard post that you believe violates our terms of service, please flag it and a moderator will review the content.
Terms of Service:
Please read this Agreement carefully before accessing or using the Website. By accessing or using any part of the web site, you agree to become bound by the terms and conditions of this agreement. If you do not agree to all the terms and conditions of this agreement, then you may not access the Website or use any services. If these terms and conditions are considered an offer by Weathergram, acceptance is expressly limited to these terms. The Website is available only to individuals who are at least 13 years old.
- Your Switchboard Account and Content. If you create content (post, comment, response, success, profile, etc.) on the Website, you are responsible for maintaining the security of your account and content, and you are fully responsible for all activities that occur under the account and any other actions taken in connection with the content. You must not describe or assign keywords to your content in a misleading or unlawful manner, including in a manner intended to trade on the name or reputation of others, and Weathergram may change or remove any description or keyword that it considers inappropriate or unlawful, or otherwise likely to cause Weathergram liability. You must immediately notify Weathergram of any unauthorized uses of your Switchboard, your account or any other breaches of security. Weathergramwill not be liable for any acts or omissions by You, including any damages of any kind incurred as a result of such acts or omissions.
Responsibility of Contributors and Creators. If you create a Switchboard, create posts, comment on posts, create a profile, post material to the Website, post links on the Website, or otherwise make (or allow any third party to make) material available by means of the Website (any such material, “Content”), You are entirely responsible for the content of, and any harm resulting from, that Content. That is the case regardless of whether the Content in question constitutes text, graphics, an audio file, or computer software. By making Content available, you represent and warrant that:
- the downloading, copying and use of the Content will not infringe the proprietary rights, including but not limited to the copyright, patent, trademark or trade secret rights, of any third party;
- if your employer has rights to intellectual property you create, you have either (i) received permission from your employer to post or make available the Content, including but not limited to any software, or (ii) secured from your employer a waiver as to all rights in or to the Content;
- you have fully complied with any third-party licenses relating to the Content, and have done all things necessary to successfully pass through to end users any required terms;
- the Content does not contain or install any viruses, worms, malware, Trojan horses or other harmful or destructive content;
- the Content is not spam, is not machine- or randomly-generated, and does not contain unethical or unwanted commercial content designed to drive traffic to third party sites or boost the search engine rankings of third party sites, or to further unlawful acts (such as phishing) or mislead recipients as to the source of the material (such as spoofing);
- the Content is not pornographic, does not contain threats or incite violence, and does not violate the privacy or publicity rights of any third party;
- your content is not getting advertised via unwanted electronic messages such as spam links on newsgroups, email lists, other Switchboards and web sites, and similar unsolicited promotional methods;
- your content is not named in a manner that misleads your readers into thinking that you are another person or company. For example, your Switchboard URL or name is not the name of a person other than yourself or company other than you own or are affiliated with
- By submitting Content to Weathergram for inclusion on your Website, you grant Weathergram a world-wide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, modify, adapt and publish the Content solely for the purpose of displaying, distributing and promoting your Switchboard. If you delete Content, Weathergram will use reasonable efforts to remove it from the Website, but you acknowledge that caching or references to the Content may not be made immediately unavailable.
- Without limiting any of those representations or warranties, Weathergram has the right (though not the obligation) to, in Weathergram’s sole discretion (i) refuse or remove any content that, in Weathergram’s reasonable opinion, violates any Weathergram policy or is in any way harmful or objectionable, or (ii) terminate or deny access to and use of the Website to any individual or entity for any reason, in Weathergram’s sole discretion. Weathergram will have no obligation to provide a refund of any amounts previously paid.
Payment and Renewal.
- General Terms.
- Optional paid services such as extra storage, or domain purchases are available on the Website (any such services, an “Upgrade”). By selecting an Upgrade you agree to pay Weathergram the monthly or annual subscription fees indicated for that service. Payments will be charged on
- Automatic Renewal.
- Unless you notify Weathergram before the end of the applicable subscription period that you want to cancel an Upgrade, your Upgrade subscription will automatically renew and you authorize us to collect the then-applicable annual or monthly subscription fee for such Upgrade (as well as any taxes) using any credit card or other payment mechanism we have on record for you. Upgrades can be canceled at any time in the Upgrades section of your site’s dashboard.
- Hosting, Support Services. Enterprise Hosting/Support and Enterprise Support services are provided by Weathergram under the terms and conditions for each such service, which are located at www.switchboardhq.com. By signing up for a Enterprise Hosting/Support or VIP Support services account, you agree to abide by such terms and conditions.
- Responsibility of Website Visitors. Weathergram has not reviewed, and cannot review, all of the material, including computer software, posted to the Website, and cannot therefore be responsible for that material’s content, use or effects. By operating the Website, Weathergram does not represent or imply that it endorses the material there posted, or that it believes such material to be accurate, useful or non-harmful. You are responsible for taking precautions as necessary to protect yourself and your computer systems from viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and other harmful or destructive content. The Website may contain content that is offensive, indecent, or otherwise objectionable, as well as content containing technical inaccuracies, typographical mistakes, and other errors. The Website may also contain material that violates the privacy or publicity rights, or infringes the intellectual property and other proprietary rights, of third parties, or the downloading, copying or use of which is subject to additional terms and conditions, stated or unstated. Weathergram disclaims any responsibility for any harm resulting from the use by visitors of the Website, or from any downloading by those visitors of content there posted.
- Content Posted on Other Websites. We have not reviewed, and cannot review, all of the material, including computer software, made available through the websites and webpages to which Switchboard links, and that link to Switchboard. Weathergram does not have any control over those non-Switchboard websites and webpages, and is not responsible for their contents or their use. By linking to a non-Switchboard website or webpage, Weathergram does not represent or imply that it endorses such website or webpage. You are responsible for taking precautions as necessary to protect yourself and your computer systems from viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and other harmful or destructive content. Weathergram disclaims any responsibility for any harm resulting from your use of non-Switchboard websites and webpages.
- Copyright Infringement and DMCA Policy. As Weathergram asks others to respect its intellectual property rights, it respects the intellectual property rights of others. If you believe that material located on or linked to by www.switchboardhq.com violates your copyright, you are encouraged to notify Weathergram in accordance with Weathergram’s Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”) Policy. Weathergram will respond to all such notices, including as required or appropriate by removing the infringing material or disabling all links to the infringing material. Weathergram will terminate a visitor’s access to and use of the Website if, under appropriate circumstances, the visitor is determined to be a repeat infringer of the copyrights or other intellectual property rights of Weathergram or others. In the case of such termination, Weathergram will have no obligation to provide a refund of any amounts previously paid to Weathergram.
- Intellectual Property. This Agreement does not transfer from Weathergram to you any Weathergram or third party intellectual property, and all right, title and interest in and to such property will remain (as between the parties) solely with Weathergram. Weathergram, Switchboard, Switchboardhq.com, the Switchboardhq.com logo, and all other trademarks, service marks, graphics and logos used in connection with Switchboardhq.com, or the Website are trademarks or registered trademarks of Weathergram or Weathergram’s licensors. Other trademarks, service marks, graphics and logos used in connection with the Website may be the trademarks of other third parties. Your use of the Website grants you no right or license to reproduce or otherwise use any Weathergram or third-party trademarks.
- Advertisements. Weathergram reserves the right to display advertisements on your Switchboard unless you have purchased an Ad-free Upgrade or an Enterprise Services account.
- Attribution. Weathergram reserves the right to display attribution links such as ‘Switchboard at Switchboardhq.com,’ theme author, and font attribution in your Switchboard footer or toolbar. Footer credits and the Switchboard.com toolbar may not be altered or removed regardless of upgrades purchased.
- Domain Names. If you are registering a domain name, using or transferring a previously registered domain name, you acknowledge and agree that use of the domain name is also subject to the policies of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (“ICANN”), including their Rights and Responsibilities.
- Changes. Weathergram reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to modify or replace any part of this Agreement. It is your responsibility to check this Agreement periodically for changes. Your continued use of or access to the Website following the posting of any changes to this Agreement constitutes acceptance of those changes. Weathergram may also, in the future, offer new services and/or features through the Website (including, the release of new tools and resources). Such new features and/or services shall be subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement.
- Termination. Weathergram may terminate your access to all or any part of the Website at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice, effective immediately. If you wish to terminate this Agreement or your Switchboard.com account (if you have one), you may simply discontinue using the Website. All provisions of this Agreement which by their nature should survive termination shall survive termination, including, without limitation, ownership provisions, warranty disclaimers, indemnity and limitations of liability.
- Disclaimer of Warranties. The Website is provided “as is”. Weathergram and its suppliers and licensors hereby disclaim all warranties of any kind, express or implied, including, without limitation, the warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement. Neither Weathergram nor its suppliers and licensors, makes any warranty that the Website will be error free or that access thereto will be continuous or uninterrupted. If you’re actually reading this, here’s a treat. You understand that you download from, or otherwise obtain content or services through, the Website at your own discretion and risk.
- Limitation of Liability. In no event will Weathergram, or its suppliers or licensors, be liable with respect to any subject matter of this agreement under any contract, negligence, strict liability or other legal or equitable theory for: (i) any special, incidental or consequential damages; (ii) the cost of procurement for substitute products or services; (iii) for interruption of use or loss or corruption of data; or (iv) for any amounts that exceed the fees paid by you to Weathergram under this agreement during the twelve (12) month period prior to the cause of action. Weathergram shall have no liability for any failure or delay due to matters beyond their reasonable control. The foregoing shall not apply to the extent prohibited by applicable law.
- Indemnification. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless Weathergram, its contractors, and its licensors, and their respective directors, officers, employees and agents from and against any and all claims and expenses, including attorneys’ fees, arising out of your use of the Website, including but not limited to your violation of this Agreement.
- Miscellaneous. This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between Weathergram and you concerning the subject matter hereof, and they may only be modified by a written amendment signed by an authorized executive of Weathergram, or by the posting by Weathergram of a revised version. Except to the extent applicable law, if any, provides otherwise, this Agreement, any access to or use of the Website will be governed by the laws of the state of California, U.S.A., excluding its conflict of law provisions, and the proper venue for any disputes arising out of or relating to any of the same will be the state and federal courts located in San Francisco County, California. Except for claims for injunctive or equitable relief or claims regarding intellectual property rights (which may be brought in any competent court without the posting of a bond), any dispute arising under this Agreement shall be finally settled in accordance with the Comprehensive Arbitration Rules of the Judicial Arbitration and Mediation Service, Inc. (“JAMS”) by three arbitrators appointed in accordance with such Rules. The arbitration shall take place in Portland, Oregon, in the English language and the arbitral decision may be enforced in any court. The prevailing party in any action or proceeding to enforce this Agreement shall be entitled to costs and attorneys’ fees. If any part of this Agreement is held invalid or unenforceable, that part will be construed to reflect the parties’ original intent, and the remaining portions will remain in full force and effect. A waiver by either party of any term or condition of this Agreement or any breach thereof, in any one instance, will not waive such term or condition or any subsequent breach thereof. You may assign your rights under this Agreement to any party that consents to, and agrees to be bound by, its terms and conditions; Weathergram may assign its rights under this Agreement without condition. This Agreement will be binding upon and will inure to the benefit of the parties, their successors and permitted assigns.
Your privacy is critically important to us. At Weathergram we have a few fundamental principles:
- We don’t ask you for personal information unless we truly need it.
- We don’t share your personal information with anyone except with your “host” institution or to comply with the law, develop our products, or protect our rights.
- We don’t store personal information on our servers unless required for the on-going operation of one of our services.
- In our products, we aim to make it as simple as possible for you to control what’s visible to the public, kept private, and permanently deleted. Switchboard content is not indexed in search engines.
If you have questions about deleting or correcting your personal data please contact our support team.
Weathergram Inc. (“Weathergram”) operates several websites including Weathergram.com and Switchboardhq.com. It is Weathergram’s policy to respect your privacy regarding any information we may collect while operating our websites.
Like most website operators, Weathergram collects non-personally-identifying information of the sort that web browsers and servers typically make available, such as the browser type, language preference, referring site, and the date and time of each visitor request. Weathergram’s purpose in collecting non-personally identifying information is to better understand how Weathergram’s visitors use its website. From time to time, Weathergram may release non-personally-identifying information in the aggregate, e.g., by publishing a report on trends in the usage of its website.
Weathergram also collects potentially personally-identifying information like Internet Protocol (IP) addresses for logged in users and for users leaving comments on Switchboardhq.com Switchboards. Weathergram only discloses logged in user and commenter IP addresses under the same circumstances that it uses and discloses personally-identifying information as described below, except that Switchboard commenter IP addresses are visible and disclosed to the administrators of the Switchboard where the comment was left.
Gathering of Personally-Identifying Information
Certain visitors to Weathergram’s websites choose to interact with Weathergram in ways that require Weathergram to gather personally-identifying information. The amount and type of information that Weathergram gathers depends on the nature of the interaction. For example, we ask visitors who sign up for a Switchboard at Switchboard.com to provide a username and email address. Those who engage in transactions with Weathergram – by paying an annual subscription, for examle– are asked to provide additional information, including as necessary the personal and financial information required to process those transactions. In each case, Weathergram collects such information only insofar as is necessary or appropriate to fulfill the purpose of the visitor’s interaction with Weathergram. Weathergram does not disclose personally-identifying information other than as described below. And visitors can always refuse to supply personally-identifying information, with the caveat that it may prevent them from engaging in certain website-related activities.
Weathergram may collect statistics about the behavior of visitors to its websites. For instance, Weathergram may monitor the most popular Switchboards on the Switchboardhq.com site. Weathergram may display this information publicly or provide it to others. However, Weathergram does not disclose personally-identifying information other than as described below.
Protection of Certain Personally-Identifying Information
Weathergram discloses potentially personally-identifying and personally-identifying information only to those of its employees, contractors and affiliated organizations that (i) are the legal owners of the name in which the Switchboard was created; (ii) need to know that information in order to process it on Weathergram’s behalf or to provide services available at Weathergram’s websites, and (iii) that have agreed not to disclose it to others. Some of those employees, contractors and affiliated organizations may be located outside of your home country; by using Weathergram’s websites, you consent to the transfer of such information to them. Weathergram will not rent or sell potentially personally-identifying and personally-identifying information to anyone. Other than to its employees, contractors and affiliated organizations, as described above, Weathergram discloses potentially personally-identifying and personally-identifying information only in response to a subpoena, court order or other governmental request, or when Weathergram believes in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of Weathergram, third parties or the public at large. If you are a registered user of an Weathergram website and have supplied your email address, Weathergram may occasionally send you an email to tell you about new features, solicit your feedback, or just keep you up to date with what’s going on with Weathergram and our products. We primarily use our various product Switchboards to communicate this type of information, so we expect to keep this type of email to a minimum. If you send us a request (for example via a support email or via one of our feedback mechanisms), we reserve the right to publish it in order to help us clarify or respond to your request or to help us support other users. Weathergram takes all measures reasonably necessary to protect against the unauthorized access, use, alteration or destruction of potentially personally-identifying and personally-identifying information.
If Weathergram, or substantially all of its assets, were acquired, or in the unlikely event that Weathergram goes out of business or enters bankruptcy, user information would be one of the assets that is transferred or acquired by a third party. You acknowledge that such transfers may occur, and that any acquirer of Weathergram may continue to use your personal information as set forth in this policy.